The ground-breaking Hyundai Ioniq 5 has been named UK Car of the Year 2022 by a panel of 29 motoring journalists.
The futuristic EV finished ahead of the Skoda Enyaq, with BMW’s iX and the Porsche Taycan taking joint third place.
“The Ioniq 5 feels like the future of motoring, only it’s here today,” said John Challen,” director of the UK Car of the Year Awards. “The design, performance and practicality make it a fantastic proposition for those looking for an EV – and also a very worthy winner of the title UK Car of the Year 2022.”
Ashley Andrew, managing director of Hyundai UK, added: “The Ioniq 5 has really captured the attention of UK consumers, offering a stylish, premium full EV experience that appeals to almost every type of new car buyer.
“Its innovative layout means its spacious enough for large families, its efficient zero emissions powertrain is perfect for company car buyers and its luxurious eco-friendly interior elevates Hyundai into a genuine premium product.”
The Hyundai Ioniq 5 was also named Best Family Car, at the UK Car of the Year Awards, earlier this month. Electric vehicles picked up five of the nine categories:
UK Car of the Year Awards 2022 category winners
- Best City Car – Fiat 500-e
- Best Supermini – Škoda Fabia
- Best Small Hatch – Kia Ceed
- Best Family – Hyundai Ioniq 5
- Best Estate – Genesis G70 Shooting Brake
- Best Small Crossover – Toyota Yaris Cross
- Best Medium Crossover – Škoda Enyaq
- Best Large Crossover – BMW iX
- Best Luxury – Porsche Taycan
- Best Performance – Hyundai i20N