Oleh : NinjaQQ
Canned cream of mushroom soup can’t compare to this homemade version. It’s rich, creamy, and deeply savory. We always go back for seconds!
Before I met Jack, I associated cream of mushroom soup with green bean casserole. I thought of it as an ingredient, not a dish on its own. In fact, soup aside, I wasn’t a big fan of mushrooms in general. But Jack may be the world’s #1 mushroom lover, and as I tried the mushroom pastas and sandwiches he loved, I discovered how delicious mushrooms could be. Prepared the right way, they become rich and savory, with an intense umami flavor.
Now, I’m a total mushroom convert, and this homemade cream of mushroom soup is one of our favorite dishes to share on cold nights. It’s far too good to hide in any casserole, so make a batch to enjoy on its own! If you have extras, freeze them for later, but fair warning: in our house, this cream of mushroom soup never lasts long.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe Ingredients
This cream of mushroom soup recipe is rich, creamy, and deeply savory, but it’s not entirely traditional. Instead of asking you to stir in cream to achieve its luscious texture, I sneak a secret veggie ingredient into the soup: cauliflower. When you puree the soup, the cauliflower will make it amazingly smooth and creamy. You won’t miss the dairy one bit!
Here’s what else you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Mushrooms, of course! I like to use creminis here, though white button mushrooms would work fine too.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – For richness.
- Leeks, celery, and garlic – They add savory depth of flavor.
- White wine, tamari, and balsamic vinegar – They add tang and enhance the mushrooms’ umami flavor.
- Dijon mustard – For extra tang and peppery bite.
- Thyme – It adds freshness to this rich, savory soup.
- Vegetable broth – Use store-bought, or make your own.
- And salt and pepper – To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Serving Suggestions
If you want to take this cream of mushroom soup over the top, don’t skip the garnishes! Crunchy toppings like homemade croutons, roasted or sautéed mushrooms, and toasted pine nuts offer a delectable contrast to its smooth, luscious texture. I also like to add a sprinkle of herbs or microgreens for something fresh and a drizzle of coconut milk or olive oil for extra richness.
We often savor this rich, creamy soup as a meal on its own, but if you’re looking for something to pair with it, you can’t go wrong with a salad. It would be lovely with my citrus salad, pear salad, beet salad, or arugula salad on the side. Round out the menu with homemade focaccia or crusty bread.
More Favorite Soup Recipes
If you love this creamy mushroom soup, try one of these favorite soup recipes next:
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Serves 4 to 6
This cream of mushroom soup is SO comforting and delicious! Veggies like mushrooms, cauliflower, celery, and leeks create its rich flavor and creamy texture, so this recipe is both vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound cauliflower, broken into florets (5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Stir in the tamari, wine, garlic, and thyme and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the wine has evaporated. Add the broth and the cauliflower.
Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very soft. Transfer to a blender, add the mustard and vinegar, and blend until smooth. If your soup is too thick, add a little bit of water to the blender to reach a creamy consistency. Season to taste and serve with desired toppings.